Anxiety is something that all of us encounter sometime in our life. Whether it is cramming for a test, applying to colleges, or worrying about what the cute guy thinks about you anxiety is everywhere. Anxiety can be productive and counterproductive at times, but what happens when someone has constant severe anxiety? Can this be treated with merely relaxation techniques and healthy communication?
I have struggled with anxiety since high school. I was always worried about something. My anxiety would trigger migraines; at least once a month I would get one. Before tests, after tests, at swim meets, in practice, before bed, in the morning, anxiety was my closest enemy. I knew that my constant worrying was an issue, but I thought it was something I could easily fix on my own, so I didn't tell anyone about the problem. It wasn't until my sophomore year in college that I decided to see a doctor. I was put on a mild dose anxiety medication paired with talking with a health coach. This changed my world. I know that it is not the medication alone, but also the healthy communication paired along side it.
Thank you for sharing your story! I'm glad you were able to get help. Some of my teammates struggle with anxiety as well, but are having problems with dealing with it. Hopefully they also seek help and find what works for them!
ReplyDelete